Earlier this week, the Retail Council of Canada commemorated retail excellence in this country, in an exuberant annual exercise that recognizes the industry’s top achievers in a host of categories.
Presented as part of STORE 2014, Canada’s Retail Conference, the Excellence in Retailing Awards plucked winners from a slew of participating retailers whose efforts demonstrated an impressive show of new and creative innovation in categories that ranged from e-commerce to corporate social responsibility.
In all, there were five Awards of Distinction and 14 Excellence in Retailing Awards distributed.
They were as follows:
• 2014 Distinguished Retailer of the Year: Larry Rosen, Chairman and CEO, Harry Rosen, in recognition of his outstanding achievement and leadership in retail.
• 2014 Distinguished Retail Founders Award for Lifetime Achievement: Michael Budman and Don Green, cofounders, Roots Canada, Ltd., in recognition of their dedication to the Canadian retail industry and their commitment to community service.
• 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award: Bob Peter, president and CEO, LCBO, in recognition of his outstanding business success and contribution to the Canadian retail industry.
• 2014 Independent Retail Ambassador of the Year: Don Sheehan, owner, Amos Pewter, in recognition of his contribution to the community of Mahone Bay, NS.
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Corporate & Social Responsibility: Habitat for Humanity ReStore (mid-size retailer) and Hudson’s Bay, for its Hudson’s Bay’s Gives a Hand to Canadian Athletes Olympic Red Mitten campaign (large-size retailer).
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for e-Commerce: Henry’s, for its Click and Collect: How Henry’s Camera Delivers Omni-Channel Excellence (mid-size retailer) and a tie between ClearlyContacts.ca, for its the Better Way to Buy Eyewear Try Before You Buy campaign and Walmart Canada for its Envisioning the Future of Shopping for an Omni-Channel World (large-size retailer).
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Energy & Environmental Sustainability: Staples Canada Inc., for its Staples, Making Energy Efficiency Happen campaign.
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Health, Safety & Wellness: Sleep Country, for its Sleep Country 2013 Back Safety Campaign.
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for In-Store Merchandising:Mission Hill Family Estate Winery, for its Enter A Different World… campaign (mid-size retailer) and Holt Renfrew, for its Holt Renfrew’s Northern Noel Shop (large-size retailer)
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Loss Prevention: Cineplex Inc., for its Cineplex LP Hunger Games: Prevention Catching Fire campaign.
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Marketing Communications:Canadian Tire Corporation, for its Igniting the Olympic Movement Across all Banners/ We All Play For Canada / What It Takes / Ça prend quoi campaign.
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Store Design:BLACKS, for its Playground for Photography campaign.
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Talent Development: The Beer Store, for its Champions of Beer Love Everyday campaign
• 2014 Excellence in Retailing Award for Technology: Roots Canada Ltd., for its Roots 360 campaign.